Recently, I put together a “short-term” bucket list of things that I want to accomplish and experience before I turn 20. I had loads of fun putting it together, and it has gotten me really excited for the next few years of my life. I think having a bucket list is great because it gives you things to look forward to and it forces you to determine what kind of life you want to create for yourself. By having unique experiences, you will become a more well-rounded person, and people will love talking with you and hearing about your fun times! I decide to do a “20 before 20” list because it seems more approachable than a regular bucket list. I got a ton of inspiration from Pinterest, so definitely check that out for more ideas!
1. Get my driver’s license: In 3 months, I will turn 16 and I cannot be more excited to start driving. It brings a whole new level of independance, freedom, and responsibility….which I know I am ready to handle!
2. Participate in a colour run: A friend of mine did one, and LOVED it, so I really want to try it out for myself. It’s a really awesome idea for people who don’t feel motivated to excercise beacuse the race is plenty of fun all the way to the finish line.
3. Go camping with friends: I’ve never been crazy about camping, but I think it would be a very special bonding experience with my gals, and definitely something we would remember forever.
4. Get a summer job that I enjoy: Summer is a great opportunity to make a few extra bucks, but it is also supposed to be a time for relaxation and fun, so I want my first summer job to be positive and memorable one.
5. Speak another language: I’ve always taken French in school, and this year I am also taking Spanish. I want to make sure that even after school, I keep up with these languages, and not forget everything I learned! Hopefully, it will make me more comfortable travelling in non-English speaking countries.
6. Write in a journal: I used to write in a journal every day, but somehow it has escaped my routine. I really enjoy writing with no purpose, and not having to consider what other people will think of my work. I would like to incorporate lots of creativity into my journal, and make it something that will be fun to look back at in years to come!
7. Meet someone famous: My fangirling side may be getting out of control just a little tiny bit…but I do think it would be a crazy, and inspiring experience to meet someone who I have looked up to for a long time.
8. Travel with my best friend: Travelling can be a hard one to put on a “before 20” bucket list. I’m not expecting to travel the world next year, (I’d be down though) but I think it would be a blast to hop on a train or bus with my friend and explore a new city for a day or two.
9. Drive in movie: I’ve actaully already checked this one off! Last summer, I saw “Inside Out” at the drive in. It was a magical experience and an adorable movie, and I totally need to do this again…and again…and again.
10. Stargazing: Of course, I have seen stars before, but I’m talking about having THE BEST STARGAZING SESSION EVER!! I think it would be super cool to put some air-beds out on a clear night, and fall asleep under the stars.
11. Make more time for myself: I guess this is more of a resolution than a bucket list item, but I think it’s important nonetheless. I feel more confident and better about myself when I make time for self-care and healthy living.
12. Swim at night: Night-swimming is so much fun and definitely something that I want to do a lot more of before I’m 20. This would be super fun to combine with number 10!
13. Grow my blog: This has been a dream of mine for a little while now, and 2016 is finally the year that I’m making it happen! I’m not expecting to have millions of views by the end of the year, but I want to give it my all, and hope to make some progress!
14. Discover great music: I’m slowly morphing out of my “preteen bubblegum-pop” stage and enjoying a wider variety of genres and artists. I’m always open and enthusiastic towards new tunes, so let me know what you’ve been listening to these days!
15. Master hair-braiding: I’ve never been the best with complex hairstyles, and my naturally curly hair doesn’t allow me to do anything too extreme. My little cousins have beautiful long hair, and I would love to be able to do something for them, as long as they are willing to be my patient models!
16. Water park: In these chilly months, I can’t stop dreaming of sun, cold drinks, and water parks! I can be a bit of a chicken when it comes to the really tall slides, so I’ll have to bring my friends along to get me out of my comfort zone. That’s what bucket lists are all about, right?
17. Hot air balloon: Speaking about getting out of my comfort zone, I’ve decided that a hot air balloon ride would be terrifying, but overall the coolest experience ever!
18. Stay fit: I’ve just started going to the gym regularly, and it has been so beneficial. I genuinely look forward to that part of my day, and I love the sense of community there is at my gym. This is something I want to continue through my teenage years, and for the rest of my life!
19. Send a message in a bottle: I saw this on someone’s “bucket list” board on Pinterest. Right away, I loved the idea, and I’m so excited to try this next time I’m by the ocean. I mean, how cool would it be to receive one??
20. Make my room the coziest place in the world: This is pretty self-explanatory, and it is very high on my priority list haha. I’m talking about dozens and dozens of blankets, pillows, candles, and Christmas lights.